Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Quick Recipe - Orzo with Parmesan and Garlic

Guys. I'm about to make a bold statement. Last night, I made the BEST SIDE DISH EVER.

Orzo with Parmesan and Garlic.

Let me tell you, I don't even really enjoy cheese, but this was perfect. I mean seriously perfect. *Full disclosure, E and I had a little tiff last night, but all was forgiven after I made this. So not only is it the best side dish ever, it makes people happy and solves the world's problems.

I based the recipe off of one I found here, but just barely changed a few things. I wanted mine a little creamier, so I used more butter and more broth.

This, unfortunately, is not my picture. I was too busy eating to remember to take a picture. But this is what it will look like.

You want the details? Here you go:

Ingredients
- 3 quarter-inch thick slices of butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 cups (plus a little) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I used the freeze-dried kind from the store)

*You can use more/less Parmesan and basil depending on your taste.

Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a deep pan over medium-high heat. Add orzo and saute until light brown.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium or medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until orzo absorbs the broth.
4. Turn off heat and stir in Parmesan and basil.
5. Serve. (I served it out of the pan, but you can put in on a plate or in a bowl or whatever you'd like.)

*Note: This is super, super easy to make. Just make sure that once the orzo starts absorbing the broth that you stir from the bottom of the pan so nothing sticks or burns.

This was SO good. I made really simple baked chicken to go with it (yes, I planned the main dish around the side -- I was excited to try it!). It was truly a great meal. And I'm so thrilled to have leftovers for the next two days!

I also want to note that after I put the basil in the pan, I thought it was going to be really overpowering. It wasn't. It was just the right amount to be the perfect complement to the dish.

I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did (and will again at lunch today)! If you make it, let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Kristine -Heart Shaped Sweat said...

I love orzo, it makes for a really nice side dish and change from rice, cous cous, and quinoa! I should serve it more often since it holds the power to solve world problems,haha!

Martha said...

Ok, Gayle. I think we can still be friends, but not enjoying CHEESE????? OMG, I'd die. I write this as I stuff my face with my leftover feta cheese, greek olives and pita bread lunch...
By the way, this looks delicious.

Laura Darling said...

YUM that looks so good!!

jackie jade said...

this looks really tasty - yum! thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words - following you back!!
-- jackiejade.blogspot.com

Emily Hampton said...

Oh man, this sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try it. New follower here, stopping by from runninglikeamother.com :)

//